competions

Concorso_porta_susa

Porta Susa Railway Station

P1 May 2000

Torino, Italy Type: New construction Item: Design of the new building of the Porta Susa train station and of a high building for office and retail use Cliente: Ferrovie dello Stato Deadline: 2001 Pictures: Archicura Design team: Arch. Kisho Kurokawa KKAA (TOKIO), leader Hank Cheriex managing director KKAA Arch. Akira Kumazawa KKAA Arch. Yasuki Sakurai KKAA Studio ARCHICURA (Torino) OVE ARUP Partners Engineering (London) Eng. Giuseppe Forte Impianti Guarene (CN

Back Read Morej
Concorso_Metamorfosi

La Metamorfosi

P30 April 1982

Torino, Italy Type: Urban planning Topic: redevelopment of areas in the north and north-east part of Turin -Local Authority 3 -  - Scalo Vanchiglia. Deadline: April 2010 Images: Archicura The theme of the brainstorming competition “Metamorphosis” advertised by the Municipality of Turin is the functional transformation and the redevelopment of the areas in the north and north-east part of Turin where the underground metropolitan line 2 will be built. The aim of the competition is therefore to acquire new strategies to intervene in such a wide area, as well as analyzing project proposals that might be useful both in terms of urban and territorial redevelopment and of communication with the surrounding territories. The interested areas are divided into three Local Authorities that will be served by the new infrastructure: Local Authority 1 -Spina 4; Local Authority 2  - Sempione-Gottardo ex railway cutting; Local Authority 3 - Scalo Vanchiglia. Local Authority  3 - Scalo Vanchiglia stands on a strip of land that is a very important  link between the two  wide areas of Rebaudengo and Scalo Vanchiglia. It could be compared to a backbone  that supports the whole south-west belt and the edges of the north-east areas by the banks of the river Stura. The longitudinal axis points towards the main direction of the bunch of “veins” that run through it. These are mainly three : a central vein that is still being developed-Via Regaldi- and two existing ones- corso Regio Parco e Via Bologna. The project aims at building arcades along the whole length of Via Regaldi so as to give a sense of continuity between the buildings. Along this path a series of small squares follow one another, each presenting a different poetic way of looking at life. The constructions that  describe the open spaces are not full but crossed through by wide cuts that allow visibility of either what is “beyond the barrier” towards the hill, or the pre-existing territory towards the centre of the city, thus avoiding to give out a sense of contained space. The eastern side of the road in particular, with its series of small squares, allows to catch a glimpse of the view towards the green park. The latter is 150  metres wide and about 1000 metres long. Its borders are defined by the profiles of the buildings that stand on Via Regaldi, so as to form a  web of  intertwined little streets that cross each other  and could be turned into bicycle or pedestrian lanes along rows of white poplar trees. The landscape project provides for  the connection between the urban context that has its origins in the 1800s and the rows of trees coming from the river Po.  

Back Read Morej
Concorso_Villa_della_regina

Villa della Regina

P1 May 1981

Torino, Italy Type: Expansion Topic: International competition for designing a building inside the historical compound of Villa della Regina in Turin that will host offices and services to the public. Villa della Regina. Competition for the new reception area.  Deadline: February 2010 Images: Archicura Villa della Regina is a historical building dating back to 1615. After careful and praiseworthy restoration works, the section of the Villa which is open to the public needs to improve the services offered to visitors who want to bring back to life a small bit of history that stretches over almost 400 years. The most interesting aspect of this project is the designing of a small building that may meet the needs of today’s society in order to leap into a not so far away past. The new reception area will develop on one floor on the foundations of the four-story building that was destroyed during the 1940-1945 War. The criteria behind the project aim at overcoming contradictions that are typical of a place that needs to be safeguarded while at the same time made suitable for the new role it is taking on. The new prism-shaped building has a rectangular base, which covers the available surface and includes the rooms of the existing, recently built constructions. The aim of the competition is to arrange offices and a reception area in the spaces found within this building. The southern wall of the new prism-shaped building looks out to the existing Italian garden through a big, perfectly smooth and vertical glass wall, the frame of which cannot be seen from the outside. Between the glass wall and the garden is a metallic structure covered by a perforated metal sheet under a green blanket of vegetation. This structure is situated 2.5 metres away from the glass wall and follows the same outline of the existing wall. It will draw the existing architecture towards the definition of the area that includes the northern and eastern sides of the Italian garden. This will allow the introduction of a new building within a solemn context in a strongly characteristic establishment. The relationship between the new structure and the surrounding landscape can be seen as the connection between a given site on the hill on either side of the Po river with Piazza Vittorio and the Gran Madre Church. However, what is more important is the direct link with the Villa’s historical factory, to be perceived as being a part of the Italian garden, and of the cultivated and woody lands. This relationship has been re-established thanks to recent restoration works.

Back Read Morej